Casual Duty Progress Report

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
27,139 / 100,000
(27.1%)

26 January 2008

Inspiration to Write

The Intrepid Writer: Jax, I need your opinion on this scene.

Jax: Y-a-w-n.

TIW: Jax, I feel stuck. The story is going nowhere. I know where I want to be in three or four chapters. Bridie needs to be assigned to the Exercise Prep Detail, but...Jax? Are you even listening to me?

Jax tilts head in imitation of rapt attention, gives a slow, languorous blink.

TIW: Jax? This part where the Range Officer discovers the body and calls the cease fire, remember that part I read to you this morning? Well I was thinking that maybe Bridie could ...Jax?

Jax, left leg extended with his toes pointing to the North Star, begins grooming his nether regions.

TIW: It sucks, doesn't it? Pumpkin didn't like it any better when I tried it on him yesterday. DELETE. DELETE. DELETE...

~~~~~~~

Candle burning, wine glass at my elbow, AC/DC on the stereo with some vintage Foreigner waiting in the wings...and I got nothing. Okay, not nothing. I've captured about 1000 words today, some good, some...bleah... I need another 200-ish to finish this scene.

Eyes closed, deep breath in - pause, release...

Ohm....

Ohm...

Oh Seshat, wherefore art Thou, in my darkest hour?

Thoth...why have you forsaken me?

Open my eyes and take another sip.

The cursor still blinks its accusation: no-thing, no-thing, no-thing...

...Cuz I'm BACK in BLACK, yeah - huh - yeah - hu - uh!

Must . . .

keep . . .

slogging . . .

away . . .

... Fill my eyes
with that Double Vision...

la, la, la,

....Tonight's the night I'm gonna push it to the limit...

What's this?

Now you're messin' with a
Son of a Bitch...

Nazareth? On the oldies channel? I'm getting old just sitting here staring at a blinking cursor. Maybe some more Hair of the Dog?


and the slogging continues....







3 comments:

Lisa said...

Hang in GF. I'm feeling it too. I'm a little bummed that the "dread middle" has arrived so early in the game, but just remember, you have the rest of us suffering along with you :)

CindyLV said...

Thanks for the encouragement. If the writing fairy shows up today, I'll send some pixie dust your way!

Anonymous said...

Cindy, I see I have a ton of catching up to do...I brought the writing fairy with me, so knock yourself out! ;-)